[AT] IHC 2504

Dennis Johnson moscowengnr at outlook.com
Sat Mar 18 21:45:23 PDT 2023

A few weeks ago I got my 2504 running. That was the one where the screw holding the points had the screw slot rounded out. I ended up removing the distributor so I could get to the screw and drill out the slot with a small drill until I could finally unscrew it. I got Pertronix system installed. Tractor still would not start. I then ordered new wires, and the next trip to the cabin I got them installed. After playing with the timing, I final got it started. Ended up buying a set of Harbor Freight
Looking for a timing mark, and never found one. The loader frame did not help trying to see anything on the front crank pulley. I finally just adjusted timing until I thought the engine sounded better. It seemed to work.
Getting the new wires on was a bit off a challenge. After initially starting it, I got it to run enough to put it in the garage. Doing it there was a noticeable different, which I found some of the wires had popped off. Kept pushing on them, and finally seemed to get them to stay on the plugs. The plugs for this engine were larger than normal, requiring a 7/8 socket instead of a 13/16” socket. I wonder of the porcelain was larger, and that is what made the wires difficult to stay on.
These wires had 90 degree fittings on the plugs, and straight fittings on the distributor. Old wires were just the opposite, with straight fittings on the plugs and 90’s on the distributor. Will use the wires I have for now, but would like to find another set.
Anyway, I am happy I got it running, and happy I got it locked inside, instead of sitting outside for thieves to see. (Neighbor had small tractor stolen a few months back.)

Sent from my iPad