[AT] Dealing with landlords when needing rented land

Carl Szabelski c.s.szabelski at gmail.com
Wed May 18 13:41:25 PDT 2022

Not sure, never actually looked into all the in and outs of the program
since I never had the minimum acreage. It’s essentially a contract between
the land owner, the utility, and the state. I would guess that after 100
years the owner can do whatever they want with the trees and land. I would
think that the value of 100 year growth trees would be a big incentive to
keep the trees and harvest them, even as an investment should the land have
to be sold.

There are some cities here in Michigan that plant trees on large city owned
tracts, and when mature, sell the lumber. Meanwhile, the cites use the land
for hiking, snowmobiling, etc., attacking tourism and revenue. You can tell
that that’s what been done because the trees are in nice straight rows
wherever you look.

Carl