[AT] Dealing with landlords when needing rented land

Carl Szabelski c.s.szabelski at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 06:54:33 PDT 2022

300 people/sq mi seems a lot, that’s roughly a person for every 2 sq mi,
you would need some large families if there were any large sections of
land. We don’t have that in our township. We are roughly 22 sq mi with a
population of about 3,400 (based on 2010 census). That’s roughly half of
what you require. We often hear other local townships refer to us as the
least populated and poorest township in the county. We do have some large
sections of land, but not many. Most of our township is classified as
agricultural. We are however, starting to see a lot of new houses going up.
That’s results in requests for city water, which we do have access to, but
it requires over 50% of the land owners (based on total acreage) to agree
to pay the cost. That makes for some very interesting township board
meetings where I have to listen to both sides and bite my tongue so that it
doesn’t appear that the township board is taking sides. It only takes on
person with a large section of land, and a couple of people with smaller
sections, to not agree to having water to kill the effort, or limit how far
the water will go. One effort took three years to develop a route that met
the requirements with enough support. Some really determine people did a
lot of leg work for those three years to develop a route and get enough
signatures to present a petition to the township board. Then our headaches
started.

Carl