[AT] Engine Heater

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Sat Jan 22 12:51:06 PST 2022

I have a lot of experience with frost plug heaters in my diesel vehicles and tractors. IMHO they work great.  Wake up, plug it in, fry some eggs and make some coffee and read the paper(wow just dated myself. No one reads papers any more) and come back in two hours and it will start right up.  That’s the only thing I’ve ever used.

I’ve always been advised to avoid dipstick heaters so I’ve never tried them.

Be sure to get frost plug heaters where the power cord can be disconnected from the unit. I don’t even know if they sell them any differently nowadays but I know some of the older ones the power cord was permanently attached.  The cord ends up chaffed and broken if it stays on.

I’ve seen tank heaters and they look like a lot of trouble to install and look ugly on a tractor.

 If you‘re thinking  you only need to worry about it a couple times of winter I would be tempted to try one of those magnetic oil pan heaters.  Again, I have never used those so I have no idea how well they work.

I live in an area of the country where I only need something like that a dozen or so times a winter and we very rarely get temperatures below 10.  If you’re much colder than that you may want to compare the different wattages on the different systems and products to ensure you’re getting enough heat.

Good luck,

Spencer

Sent from my iPhone