[AT] OT- now Ford F150

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 05:39:41 PDT 2021

Regarding the codes.  I've got to state my disclaimer:  I'm a little rusty
with my knowledge of modern engine controls.  I used to do a lot of my own
wrenching when I had the '03 Focus and '96 F250.  I had a scanner and a
subscription to AllData.  Then around 2013 or so the Focus turned into a
nearly-new VW TDI, and then in 2016 I got a new F250, and then VW bribed me
to give the TDI back, so I've moved on to a (used) BMW X1.  They're all too
new to need any wrenching and as a result I can feel my competence level
dropping.

OK, codes for a clogged cat?  Only maybe.  There are O2 sensors before and
after the cat, which are used to check if it's working.  If they match, the
cat isn't catalyzing anything.  But if it's partially clogged and still
catalyzing what gases are managnig to get thru, these O2 sensors will be
satisfied.

Codes for fuel filter?  I think probably yes.  It could cause a fuel-trim
code because the system sees a lean condition and tries to correct it.

If a VVT problem (I haven't checked to see if that engine uses VVT but just
as a guess it's a fair bet that it does) having a code is only a maybe.

SO