[AT] OT- now Ford F150

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 20:04:37 PDT 2021

Not real revelant since my F-150 is a tiny bit older... OK, it's a 1983.
:-)
It's a 302 (I'm about 40 years behind on metric references) which is not my
favorite engine. I had another 1983 F-150 with a 300 CID straight 6 that
pulled heavy trailer loads much better and was 3 times easier to work on.
Any-who, I was buying firewood last winter since I was having some health
issues. It was great wood, (ash) nicely processed, good price and about a
20 mile round trip. The old F-150 was doing great but about half way
through winter it suddenly started to get noisy and lacked power. It kept
getting more noisy, well beyond normal loose engine noisy. I changed oil
and filter and made maybe 3 more trips with it and really wondered if I was
going to make it home on the last trip. The guy ran out of wood and I was
feeling better so I started cutting at home. I parked the truck and
mentioned to son Scott that I wanted him to listen to it for me some time.
He was busy,I was busy, it rained heavily all spring and then it got silly
hot. The truck just sat since I was using a tractor and trailer for wood
cut at home. I got around to checking it out last week and it wouldn't turn
over right. It was really binding somewhere and as it tried it was growling
badly. I hit the starter about 5 or 6 times and then it clunked and started
spinning over and fired up and sat there running quietly. OK, quietly for a
38 year old truck.  :-)  I have been using it some this week and it has
been fine. I really believe that at some point the starter had jammed in
the engaged position and had everything in a bind.
I'll replace the starter just to be safe and watch it. Had it not just
started working I would have never considered it being the starter.
It is kind of an "extra" truck and at times in the past it has sat without
being used for extended periods. I have owned it for maybe 30 years and in
that time it has never had many miles put on it. It doesn't owe me
anything, I bought it at a yard sale for $450. The seller told  me he was
selling it because it was using so much oil that he considered mounting a
barrel in the bed.  :-)
It wasn't "using" oil it was "leaking" oil. Easy fix. It had a missing bolt
in the timing cover. It never smoked back then and still doesn't.
I have always liked the body style of that vintage. As I get older I also
like not needing a ladder to climb in it.  :-)

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 8:14 PM Mike M <meulenms at gmx.com> wrote:

> Thanks Steve, no check engine light has come on, sorry for the mix up but
> it is a 2012. I would assume their would be no codes?
>
> Mike M
>
> On 9/13/2021 5:00 PM, Stephen Offiler wrote:
>
> According to Nada Guides, there was a 4.6 V8 and a 5.4 V8 in model year
> 2010, and in model year 2011 they changed to a 3.7 V6 and a 5.0 V8.   Sorry
> but I don't have a lot of input on the problem.  Clogged catalytic
> converter is definitely on the list based on the symptoms.  Fuel filter is
> another guess.  Apparently there's no Check Engine lamp?  I am still trying
> to think how oil pressure could play a role.  It shouldn't be able to get
> high, as there's always a relief valve in there somewhere.  What if that
> failed... what would high oil pressure do?  Well, really really stretching
> here but if there's any variable valve timing arrangement on that engine,
> they sometimes actuate it with oil pressure...
>
> SO
>

> On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 4:36 PM John Hall <jtchall at nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Somebody switch engines? Thought the 5.0 was long gone before 2010.
>> Think my son's 2002 is a 4.6?
>>
>> John Hall
>>
>> On 9/13/2021 4:28 PM, Mike M wrote:
>> > Hi all, I have a question about my daughters fiances truck. He has a
>> > 2010 or 2011 F-150 with a 5.0 V8 in it. He said it feels sluggish on the
>> > highway, like he's dragging a boat anchor, and his oil pressure seemed
>> > higher than normal. He changed the oil and filter the other day, and
>> > said the dipstick had some "stuff"on it, so he changed it again, no
>> > improvement. I suggested that he check his air filter to make sure a
>> > mouse or other critter didn't make a nest in there, but that was fine.
>> > Any thoughts? I'm certainly no mechanic, but my only other thought would
>> > be a catalytic converter that is clogging up .
>> >
>> > Thank-you,
>> > Mike M
>> >
>> > --

> <#m_-1312758509925621311_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com