[AT] Batteries

Bo Hinch bohinch at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 15:31:33 PST 2021

To be honest with you  Francis , a few years ago , your battery went dead
on the truck you were using for camping at the tractor show and you had
just replaced it the year before and was asking for help / suggestions and
I sent you the procedure using epson salt , at the time , you said it
worked for you ( but don't remember if you said for how long ) . Also when
I went to Ford Motor Training School in the mid sixties , they said to
NEVER add acid to a battery again once it has been activated . Just my
thoughts .    Grumpy Bo

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 5:21 PM Indiana Robinson <robinson46176 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have heard just what Bo said for years. Not sure where, heck, I might
> even have heard it from Bo, I try to pay attention to his posts...  :-)
> I  did recently read a bit of a variation of what he said from a link from
> a big golf cart dealer. That site was suggesting about the same thing but
> they said to find a place where you could safely lay the battery on its
> side with the caps off and drain out about half of the acid then set it
> back up, install the caps and wash the battery, then open the caps and add
> enough of the new acid to cover the plates by at least 1/4" and charge...
> I used to be an Interstate battery dealer and so many people turned in
> good batteries for a core that I never had to pay for batteries for my use.
> Someone's battery would quit charging because of bad terminal connections.
> Their first reaction was typically "the battery must be bad". They pulled
> it out and put in a new one and said "see, I told you that the battery was
> bad". If they had removed and cleaned the cable connections and battery
> post chances are pretty good that their old battery would have been fine
> after a  charge or a jump. I ran some of them for years.
>
> .
>
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 3:59 PM David Myers <Walking_Tractor at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Ok Brad,  never heard of the epsom salt remedy.  Can you tell us how it
>> works?  Got a couple batteries I might try it on.
>> David
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Nov 29, 2021, at 1:47 PM, Bo Hinch <bohinch at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I would get a quart of epson salt and a gallon of distilled water , bring
>> the water to a boil , then add the epson salt and make sure it is all
>> dissolved , let it cool then fill each compartment . Hook up a good 6 volt
>> charger and let slow charge for at least 24 hours . This works 95 % of the
>> time . Good luck .
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 12:39 PM Brad Loomis <brad.loomis at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm no battery guru at all. I know maintenance, charging, and those
>>> things. I'm at one of our facilities that has been idle for about a year.
>>> The scissors lift that I need has also been idle that long. No electrolyte
>>> visible, not on a charger. What can I do to try to resurrect the 4- 6V
>>> batteries? Add water, plug in, charger built in, and hope for the best?
>>> Google leads me to various potions that I view as snake oil.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Brad