[AT] Diesel Fuel Question

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 12:11:39 PST 2021

Hi Steve
I'm going to post a warning here, not for you, I'm sure that you are well
aware of the risk... Many others may not be as aware...
When looking for fuel leaks on diesel engines NEVER ! ever look with your
fingers.The line pressure is so high that a tiny almost invisible leak can
cut flesh even through gloves.
I can't begin to tell you how many guys I have seen check for leaks by
fingering around the injectors, lines and fittings... If you need to check,
use something like a strip of cardboard.
BTW, as cheap as I am, I wouldn't use that fuel in an engine. I do keep
some similar materials around for rough washdowns.
Now, I do use filtered old gasoline, usually filtered through a couple of
old pieces of bedsheet. I only use that in old tractors, never in an
injected vehicle.

I've had better years than 2021. I would like to see it get better or go
away...

.

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 1:01 PM Stephen Offiler <soffiler at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks everyone, so far.  This has nothing to do with frugality.  It's
> like $3.00 worth of fuel.  This is more about the only two choices I'm
> seeing at the moment:  burn it; or store it for a relatively long time
> until I can get around to disposing of it properly.  As for use as a
> degreaser, I use mineral spirits for that.  Trailer decking, I don't own a
> trailer.  As for brush burning, I don't.  I either shred brush or cart it
> to my local transfer station who has a big brush-pile and
> chipper/composting operation.
>
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 12:40 PM Jason <dejoodster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Your 5 to 1 idea sounds fine as long as it's older non-electronically
>> controlled injection system.
>>
>> IH 1066 sure. Case IH MX 285 with CAPS fuel system, never in a million
>> years.
>>
>> Jason
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 21, 2021, 9:31 AM Stephen Offiler <soffiler at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I recently discovered I have a diesel fuel leak, and while trying to
>>> find time for diagnosis and repair, I started parking the tractor over a
>>> big drip-pan.  The pan collected roughly a gallon over the course of ...
>>> well, I can't say precisely but around a week or two.  That fuel dripped
>>> thru the normal grime found on engines, so it's pretty dirty.  (And I since
>>> discovered that turning off the fuel petcock effectively controls the leak)
>>>
>>> I have filtered it multiple times.  First thru paper towel; clogged
>>> three or four getting that done.  Next thru coffee filters, again, it took
>>> 4 to finish the job.  Finally thru a Covid mask (regular surgical type not
>>> N95).  That one never clogged and captured very minimal additional material.
>>>
>>> What I have now is therefore free of particulate big enough to catch in
>>> coffee filters and surgical masks.  It remains discolored; if fresh diesel
>>> was the color of Budweiser, this stuff looks like a nice brown ale.
>>>
>>> What says the list?  Burn it?  Will the tractor's fuel filter take out
>>> everything big enough to cause problems with the pump or injectors?  (Seems
>>> like that should be a design criteria for that filter, no?)  If I do burn
>>> it, I will dilute it about 5:1 with fresh fuel.
>>>
>>> If I don't burn it, it will eventually be carted away to our local
>>> Hazardous Waste Day held annually about 25 miles from here - I manage to
>>> remember and get over there only about once every 3-5 years.
>>>
>>> Steve O.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA