[AT] BAD Tractor Day: need some advice

Carl Szabelski c.s.szabelski at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 07:03:51 PST 2021

If it is as you say, a ring fitted onto a casting, the process is the same
as putting any gear on a shaft, or putting the pulley on a Cub crankshaft.
Heat up the ring and place over a cold casting. The trick is to get it hot
enough, and uniformly heated. You usually need to get it up in the 330+
degree range to get it to expand a little. It also helps if you can cool
the casting so that it shrinks a little. When they put new tires on
railroad wheels, they use a gas fired ring system of torches that heat the
new tire in multiple spots to get it hot enough and evenly heated. When I
had to reinstall the front pulley on the Cub I put the pulley in the oven
and let it sit there for a while to get it hot. I had no way to cool down
the end of the shaft so it was room temp. Then I used a threaded rod and a
home made spacer with a nut to press it on.

Not knowing how large the ring is, you may have to do is get a good fire
going in the back yard and put the ring in it, otherwise try using an oven
and set it for as high as you can. You can try packing the casting in ice
to cool it down, or put it in the freezer for a day or two.

Whatever you do, keep in mind that the ring will start to cool as soon as
you remove it from the heat source, and the casting will start to warm as
soon as you remove it from it’s cooling source. You can try to minimize the
loss of heat by hitting the ring with a torch while getting it ready for
the install. Also, once the two come into contact with each other, they
will start to set pretty fast. So you want to set the ring on the casting
as accurately as possible, and be ready to drive it one way or the other to
get it properly positioned before it grabs.

Good luck

Carl