[AT] Air lines for shop: Finished with review

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Wed Nov 3 00:41:37 PDT 2021

Spencer Yost wrote:
> So, I finally finished the air lines.   Here is my unvarnished option:
> Maxline is a good choice but not quite the slam dunk I thought it was.
>
> I was impressed with:
>
>      -   Lack of air leaks in the fittings (provided you installed them
> correctly).
>      -   Gentle turns and bends are easy and don't require elbows and
> what not(see below)
>      -   Completely modular system:   You can get most any kind of
> fitting or hardware that is compatible and don't need to "hack" anything.
>      -   Seems good quality (see below though). time will tell.
>
> What I learned:
>
> As far as handling its the worst of both worlds.
>      -   Shorter lengths:  I've never used PEX-AL-PEX but I understand
> its akin to that so this was a learning process.  It is fairly stiff and
> difficult to shape shorter lengths. Its a bit like wrestling a dead
> snake with rigor mortis.  Unrolling it straight from the roll was the worst.
>      -   Longer lengths:  It is flexible enough that you can't lift
> longer lengths without help.   Long lengths are like partially cooked
> spaghetti: the far end just won't come up if its over 12-15' long.  My
> wife was so happy to have to assist (-:
>

> What I didn't like:
>      -   One of the fittings designed to attach the line to a standard
> female NPT fitting (a regulator in my case) had weak/bad threads and a
> few 12-18mm sections of the thread broke during installation.   So air
> leaked and I almost could not remove it. Removal did minor damage to the
> female threads in my regulator but I saved it by chasing it with a pipe
> tap.  Since the fitting is steel and regulator housing is aluminum and
> was undamaged (other than trying to remove it) I assume the problem was
> with the fitting and its thread cutting during production.
>      -   Its way too easy to kink it when bending a 90 degree or greater
> by hand.  Had to buy the bender.
>      -   If you don't want it to look like an eighth grader installed it
> you really need their tubing straightener to unroll it and give you nice
> crisp lines.
>      -   Instructions state that you tighten each fitting by hand and
> turn 3/4 more.   I never could get a full 3/4 but none leaked so not a
> biggie but I have 10' ceilings so standing on a ladder using all my
> might to try to hold a fitting with one wrench while torque-ing that
> sucker down with another was zero fun.
>      -   The lines are, as Steve W stated, very blue.   Matches my
> compressor but could be unsightly if that matters.
>

> All in all I was glad I used it.   I bought the straightener and bender
> and also glad I did.    As for money:  I can resell the straightener and
> bender but counting the loss on the resale I am way over copper -
> probably $100 over copper.  But still happy.  It went in faster and
> leak-free.  Plus soldering on a ladder is zero fun as well (-:
>

> Hope this helps.   And if anyone needs a straightener and bender I'll
> [...]

Sorry you didn't like it that well.

Personally I didn't have the kinking issue, maybe I wasn't trying to
bend that tight? I used a universal bender as well, already had it for
bending lots of metal anyway.
Straightening was a bit easier for me. I just used some wood blocks
nailed to the bench and unrolled the tubing through them. Wasn't really
looking for perfect but I also was installing the line up against a
trim/light mount strip as well, so that sort of helped it stay straight.
Didn't seem like the line was that droopy though, wonder if they have
made things lighter since I installed mine?

Sorry for the bum steer Spencer.

--
Steve W.