[AT] Air conditioning problems In my parts getter...

Brad Loomis brad.loomis at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 20:35:26 PDT 2021

I hope you meant a detector for the current refrigerants and not NH3.
Ammonia only requires your nose or a sulphur stick. And for those that may
want to try their hand at refrigeration, a lot of the newer
domestic/commercial units use either propane, R290 or isobutane R600a, as
refrigerant. I'm not sure what the automotive industry is going to move to.
I got out of commercial refrigeration not long after the requirements to
recover and the end of R12, R22, R502, R11, and the rest of the chlorinated
fluorocarbons.It was an awful time never knowing what someone put into what
system. Then came 410a in A/C. Now that's going away. Customers didn't like
to hear, we don't use that refrigerant, we'll have to recover it, time
consuming, and charge your system with an EPA approved refrigerant, maybe
have to change the oil, etc, etc, equipment was slow so labor costs were
absurd. Like I said, ammonia is safe, easy, efficient, and well,  dangerous
in the wrong hands. :)
And the bigger warning would be to never pressure test any system with
oxygen.
And by this discussion it is apparent why automotive is the driving force
for EPA  to regulate what goes into the atmosphere. A billion leaking autos
is a lot of gas into the atmosphere. It just moved to HVAC and
refrigeration because of the same gasses.