[AT] Questions on a 1953 John Deere M

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 09:42:38 PDT 2021

Seriously, farmer?  ;-)

Well, if so, I'd say no.  One reason is that, once upon a time, full synth
oils gained a reputation for creating leakers (from memory, not reliable).
The chemistry was not fully compatible with the elastomers used in the
seals.  Here in the modern day you don't hear about that any more.  I don't
know if the elastomers have changed or the synth chemistry has changed.  If
it's the modern seals that keep synth from leaking, then, I guess you don't
want to expose old seals to it.

And the best applications for the higher-cost full synth oils are those
with real temperature extremes.  It flows better at extreme cold
temperatures, and it resists cooking at extreme high temperatures (like you
find in modern turbocharged engines).

SO