[AT] OT- Dual boot

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 02:32:28 PST 2021

Mike:

I tried Linux at the advice of ATIS folks such as Charlie, farmer, and a
few others (sorry I'm forgetting who at the moment... Spencer was probably
one of them).  I say, go for it.  I have a Dell laptop at work, which I
think is a Latitude E6xxx, with dual-boot.  It was not at all difficult to
partition the hard drive during the Linux install, and mine is even older -
it dual boots to XP.

I really like Linux.  I am using Mint 19.3 Tricia.  There's a version 20
out in beta or might be full release by now.  I'm fine sticking with 19.3.
It looks like there's a lot of community support for the older releases.
It comes with Firefox and LibreOffice, which pretty much takes care of what
I need to do, and file save options include MS Office compatibility (doc
and xls etc.).  Linux supports the built-in WiFi and Bluetooth on both of
my old Dells.  My home machine is also a Dell, a little fancier than the
work laptop, a Dell Precision M4400, and that one isn't dual-boot, it's
straight Linux on a 120GB SSD.  That one has a powerful NVidia graphics
card, originally for CAD work, and it was not hard to find a Linux driver
that supports it.

SO