[AT] Was OT-Windows 10, now Having your cake and eating it too

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Fri Feb 19 10:14:41 PST 2021

I stopped using wine many years ago and for apps that require Windows I use a VM created in either VMWare or Virtualbox loaded with  Windows.  I started with VMWare when I dropped wine but a few years back switched to VirtualBox.  Advantages to this approach

1-Migrating the machine to another laptop is trivial and is as simple as exporting and copying the VM as a file(a BIG one albeit).
2-Sharing files is easy between the host laptop and the VM with this approach.
3-Letting VMWare or VirtualBox handle the interface to the hardware in the native host OS simplifies all the driver craziness of dual boot.

Disadvantages

1-Do have to have a reasonably capable and reasonably current laptop/desktop with either windows, Mac OS X or Linux.  Nothing excessive but your not going to run this on really old stuff.
2 - Extra memory helps.

I have one machine (Mac OSX) and many computers(two flavors of Linux, Windows, etc) by using VirtualBox.    When you get a new laptop you just export the machines and import into the new laptop’s copy of VirtualBox/VMware.   The OS, Software and data travel with it magically.

If you want extra credit use Vagrant to manage and deploy these VMs.  What’s great about Vagrant is folks have put together LOTs of VMs and are packaged up and ready to go at Vagrant’s repo for both VMWare and VirtualBox(obviously VMs with  unlicensed OS’s. No Windows 10 there). No need to start from scratch if you don’t want to.   All free.  Just installed a new Ubuntu VM in VirtualBox about a week ago.   If it took more than 3 mins plus download time I’ll buy everyone a steak dinner.  You sign in and start using it right away.

And yes, Mint is on the Vagrant repo:

https://app.vagrantup.com/boxes/search?q=linux+mint

Spencer

Sent from my iPhone