[AT] tractor electrical question

Howard Pletcher hrpletch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 20:21:16 PDT 2021

Is that the original coil?

I'm not familiar with the 454, but in the truck world, most coils are
intended for 6V use.  There is a resistor wire in the harness that drops
the voltage while the current is flowing with the points closed.  But there
are also coils intended for 12V use with no resistor wire.  If that is not
the original coil, perhaps you have the wrong one.

Since it seems to work fine with 12V applied, I'd probably run another wire
from the ignition switch to the coil to bypass any possible resistor wire.

Howard

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 11:08 PM John Hall <jtchall at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> If there is, I can't find it. Closes thing I have found is the
> diode/rectifier for the alternator. Its inline and is tied in on this
> particular "circuit" . Matter of fact, the side opposite the alternator
> is where the fuel solenoid feeds from.
>
> John Hall
>

> On 8/25/2021 11:05 PM, Spencer Yost wrote:
> > Maybe there’s an external resistor?
> >
> > Spencer
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> >> On Aug 25, 2021, at 10:35 PM, John Hall <jtchall at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Got what I hope is a simple question. On my IH 454 tractor, is the
> voltage going to the coil a constant 12V? I'm having some issues with it
> running bad when it gets hot (I've already replaced everything but the plug
> wires). Found out today that if I run a jumper wire from battery to the
> coil, the problem goes away. Take it off problem comes back, put it back it
> goes away, take it off, it comes back. So I am tracing the wiring but this
> one isn't simple, new enough there are tons of gauges, fuel solenoids,
> safety switches, etc. Anyway, if I check voltage at the coil, the fuel
> solenoid, and there is one small terminal on starter solenoid that all read
> 12V if the switch is on. If I bump the engine over slightly (I guess the
> pts are closing) then the coil and starter drop to just under 6V, fuel
> solenoid stays the same. So shouldn't there always be 12V at the coil?
> >>
> >> John Hall

Howard