[AT] Something to do

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 16:07:33 PDT 2020

Just last week I was watching an old Ford sales video from 1953 (Jubilee).
One of the first things I noticed was the paint job... I don't think the
one we bought ,new, looked like that one. Of course ours was at the end of
the year of Jubilee production and I assume the one on the video may have
been half a dozen tractors past the prototype.  :-)
The one in the video looked like the red parts had been painted with a
string mop to the point of dribbling off. The red parts of ours looked much
nicer. The gray parts of both looked nice. There were places on the video
where in close ups the paint looked about 1/8" to 1/4"... Thick and gunky.
I figured that the new castings may have been quite rough on the video one.
I recall once reading a history of the Tucker car and one thing that stuck
in my head was that on the first one they claimed that they used 400 pounds
of lead smoothing out the body.  :-)
I tend to think of paint as a temporary thing and so don't get too upset
about "special" color schemes. On the other hand, there are a lot of really
ugly tractors out there...
We once painted our Ferguson TO-20 (bought new) the Massey Ferguson colors.
It looked nice and normal. It was a working tractor, not a show tractor.
Showing tractors was not really a thing yet back then. It got sold during
some operational changes but I bought another some years ago. I have not
done a lot to it yet but today I would be reluctant to paint it a
non-original color. Now if I had two of them I might paint one of the two
an off standard color just for fun. I do have two Ford 8Ns and I might be
tempted to paint the second one the colors of the late Ferguson 40s. It's
kind of a creamy yellow on the tin with Flint gray where an 8N is red and
with a red grill. I also have two Case VACs. The one I use now will get the
original scheme. The second may get the later model cream tin-work. I've
seen a number of those and I happen to like them.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com