[AT] Another Hurricane

Mogrits mogrits at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 19:00:25 PDT 2020

I agree with Mike here- it's lack of prescribed burning. It's done
regularly here (In the Southeast US) to manage timberland and maximize
forest growth. It's done for some croplands, too.

It's not necessary to "rake" or remove the debris to create firebreaks and
burn off the load of accumulated fuel. When the market allows it, the
diseased wood can be sold for pulp rather than burn it.

My brother is a forester. I have seen him and two other foresters burn well
over 100 acres at a time here using little more than one 4-wheeler and a
couple torches. No drama whatsoever, and his company's insurance premiums
are surprisingly low.

I won't pretend to know anything about forestry practices in New Zealand,
or even what kind of forests exist there, but in the Western US our forests
were managed by Native Americans for centuries with prescribed burning as
they understood it at the time. There is also the addition out West now of
Eucalyptus trees, which are not indigenous. They explode and burn like
tinder when exposed to these fires.

Warren