[AT] Hay making

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Sat Sep 5 12:02:22 PDT 2020

Third cutting is coming in. Looking pretty decent. Right towards the end of the cutting the mower started leaving a small stripe of uncut grass behind it.   I was close enough to being done  I said screw it and kept cutting. Upon inspection a knife guard was missing. I’m not sure if you’ve ever taken one of these off but it’s impossible to take these off without also taking the knives off. However the knives were fine though one rivet was sheared. So my guess is it shattered somehow and then the bolts loosened.

Considering I sort of knew where it might be and knife guards  are 15 to 20 bucks locally I decided to waste 20 minutes with a metal detector and see if I can find it. I never could find it but I’m pretty sure I found what shattered it. I cut the handles clean off one of my wife’s pruning shears :-) Apparently it dropped out of her pocket or the Gator sometime recently. Cut those metal handles off cleanly. I can’t believe there’s no knife damage.

Anyways once again I had to replace some rivets and I used bolts. Needed a new high-rise clip to clear the bolts and put that on. Since he asked about using bolts and wondered about clip clearance, I’ve decided to include pictures for John Hall. This is a picture of the repair and then a picture of a normal section with original equipment on it.