[AT] Having the right tools for the job

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Mon Oct 12 15:26:53 PDT 2020

Cecil, you're right about the potential for bending a lift arm.   I did
think about it, but went ahead anyway.   Lifting it up and out of there on
my own was more than I felt like doing, after already having dug way down
along one side without reaching the bottom of the post, but I knew it had to
be loose enough to come up without a fight.   Of course I'd have cursed my
stupidity loud and long if I'd ended up bending an arm anyway.

Osage is indeed outstanding material for fence posts.   This one
realistically would need to be replaced if it had to do honest corner-post
duty again, with a heavy gate hinged off of it, because it's about halfway
rotted through inside right above the ground line.   Can't complain for
being 60+, or however old it is.   And I like its character enough to want
to keep it, and even halfway rotted it should be plenty strong enough to
just stand there with a few fence boards attached to one side.

I used decking lumber (actual 1" thick) for the fence boards, and attached
them with torx-head screws with a handheld electric drill.   Funny thing
about the osage, I noticed the screws would go in fairly smoothly.but any
time at all later, even a few minutes, there's no moving them.   No
tightening them up that last little bit, no backing them out, shaft will
snap before it'll turn.

And Dean VP, yep, it's darn nice having that tractor.  ;)

Dean Vinson

Saint Paris OH