[AT] Short Update

STEVE ALLEN steveallen855 at centurytel.net
Tue Oct 13 14:40:35 PDT 2020

Been a while since I have updated the list, partly because illness (not *that* one, thank the Lord!) and work have interfered with progress.

Let's see:  the '47 B is slowly coming along.  We have installed the 00 ga. starter cable and the started itself, and we're ready to remount the platform and seat/battery box.  We ran a wire from the starter terminal that will go to the Ammeter when we get to the point of redoing the wiring harness.  We refreshed the mag by cleaning it up, installing new points, condenser, rotor, and cap.  We made up new pug wires.  I thought we had a loom for it, but apparently I was forcing the one off the '49 A to do double duty in my mind.  So we are on the lookout for a loom.  Next step will be to wash out the gas tank and decide which sediment filter to use.  The carb is almost done, so we need to install the inlet pipe and fix the hole in the air cleaner oil cup.  The new/old shutters are installed along with the linkage we got from Sharp's.  We will probably just top off the fluids till we're sure it will run, but we're not too far from verifying that.

The '49 A still awaits the flywheel replacement.  The dial indicator I ordered arrived recently, so we will pull it out of the shed soon and take care of that job.  That flywheel is a heavy sucker.  We'll both need to be feeling frisky *that* day!

The '51 A continues to serve well.  Three weeks ago, we did the last cutting of the field/ creek bottom.  This past weekend, we hooked up the old disk and started go over and over the area which will become the garden.  The trip clutch doesn't work on the disk, but we can adjust it well enough for the front gangs to cut pretty well.  We need to add weight.  There's a very big, long dead tree near where the orchard will go that we'll tackle in the next week or three.  I plan to measure 4 pieces of the lower trunk to fit the frames above each gang in an effort to add that weight.

We have cleaned off an old, gravel driveway along one side of the property to use as a trailer/implement park to keep the equipment out of the weeds.  There was some thin grass on the gravel, so I sprayed it with some high-dollar vegetation killer, guaranteed to kill within 24 hours.  48 hours later, the grass was greener than it had been.  Another application produced like results.  So I sprayed it with diesel fuel and used the torch on it.  Now, most of the grass is dead.  But not all--we grow some resilient grass hereabouts.  :-/

We spent the weekend two weeks ago grinding almost all of the 53,429 stumps--4" or less--left from all the clearing last year and earlier this year.  We rented a grinder, and let me tell you:  that toy will give you a work out!  I still have bruises from pushing against it.  BUT:  we can mow now without having to swerve every 3 feet--or 3 inches!--and then trim, trim, trim with push mower and weed whacker.  Well worth the time, effort, and $143.69.

We also spent some time re-levelling a shed that had started leaning over.  It is an old truck box placed on RR ties, but the ties had rotted.  I acquired some 6" x 6" treated timbers from my brother when he ripped out a retaining wall next to his driveway.  So, using a hilift and a floor jack, we lifted the box and placed new timbers under the frame.  We don't have to lean when we go in the shed now ;-)

Getting ready to do the last cutting of the yard and put the mowers to bed for the winter--and I am glad of it!

Hope all is going well out there with the old iron!

The "original" Steve Allen