[AT] PTO shaft grease?

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 12:30:39 PST 2020

A lot of those telescoping joints had a grease fitting but many others
didn't.  I recall at least one, sometime in the past, that had an access
hole in the shield for reaching the grease fitting.  You had to rotate the
shield to look for the fitting.  I don't suppose the ones that are causing
you trouble have them (otherwise they probably wouldn't be causing trouble).
I looked online for a (relatively late model) Bush Hog manual to see what
they recommend.  They said 8 hours for the u-joints.  For the telescoping
joint, they said 40 hours on a pull-behind mower and didn't show a fitting
on the joint.  For a 3-point mower, they never mentioned lubricating the
telescoping joint.

You may not be putting on more than 40 hours a year.  But cleaning and
greasing at least annually seems prudent.  Maybe that is all you really need
to do.

Jim Becker