[AT] Weekend

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun May 24 20:45:03 PDT 2020

My MTZ/Belarus 1220 broke the pin that held the power steering cylinder
a couple of weeks ago when I put the front mounted post auger on it..
The pin is shown in the top right of the picture. I welded it in the
bracket the threaded section was broke off.  It looks like it was over
torqued at the factory.   They are going to warranty it even though the
tractor is out of warranty.  It broke out next to the weld yesterday
when I wanted to grade some ditches I had cut with the dozer.  I spent
most of this afternoon measuring the old one and drawing it on a cad
program so I could send it to a machinist.  I got so many questions and
crap about it when I posted it to 3 different sites that I will just fix
the belt on my old lathe and make it.  By the time these self taught
engineers get it analyzed I will have the one that is stuck in customs
out of Canada.  I happen to have 20 hours of college level metallurgy
when I was going for a technical degree before I transferred to
engineering.  I get very impatient when a machinist starts to tell me
about metallurgy!!!  Just one of my shortcomings I guess.
I went out to check the cows a couple of hours ago and one of our first
calf heifers was acting really nuts.  I could not find her calf and she
kept going to the south end of the pasture.   On the second round I
found a calf that had got its head caught in between  the cross members
of an old tank trailer that was parked.  We tried for a while to pull
her head out but I guess she had been in there so long her head had
swelled.  I went back to the shop and loaded the cutting torch and
bottles on the bale forks of the tractor and headed back.   I put a
piece of sheet metal to divert the sparks and soaked her head with
water.  She was so thirsty she was drinking the water off the ground.
Got the cross member cut and had to pick her head up to get out.  A very
tired out calf.  Hopefully she will be ok....    A big storm is headed
here tonight, so stress and  weather is a perfect prescription for
pneumonia..
Life on the farm..................

Cecil