[AT] IHC Grain truck steering wheel question.

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 12:06:19 PDT 2020

I had a 1952 Plymouth Cranbrook 2 door in the very early 1960's that I was
lightly customizing. The factory steering wheel was UWN (ugly when new) and
was in kind of poor shape. I headed to a local junk yard where I was on a
first name basis with about everybody there and while "shopping" I ran
across a wrecked Buick with a cool looking banjo style steering wheel that
did not have Buick's name on it. I took it off and paid them the $1.50
 :-)  and headed home. I was really disappointed when I got home and pulled
the wheel on my Plymouth and found that the spline was different. I figured
out the difference, found a tapered reamer and reamed out the old splines
and then spent most of a day (I really wanted that Buick wheel) sitting at
the vise with a new 3 corner file re-cutting the spline with the right
number of splines. I must have tried the fit about 600 times but I finally
got it right.
**********
Rambling from here on.  :-)
**********
I worked on that car a couple of years and most of that time it was spotted
in various colors of primer. I did common stuff like shaving the hood and
trunk, different tail lights. It was a two piece hood with a center filler
and I welded the halves together and peaked it from cowl to grill. Replaced
the grill with one from a 49 Olds. Wheels were stock with Moon caps. I
finally got it ready to paint and painted it very metallic green. It looked
great. Then when I got married I sold it. The buyer lived on the same road
I did but a couple of miles farther out. For a couple of weeks I would hear
him pass the house (burned out glass-pack) and could see the shine of that
paint well down the road. After only two weeks he roared into a curve too
fast and rolled it totaling it... If I had not been so poor at the time I
would have tried to buy it and rebuild it which would have been silly but I
was injured seeing it looking like that... I never tried to do another.
We had a good local body man I knew that built a number of customs (Bob
Metz). His son was a school-mate of mine. For a time they moved out west
and worked with George Barris building customs including some TV and movie
cars. You can Google them, there is a little stuff on-line.

I still have my old 1600 Loadstar. I have visions of it with new paint and
my Farmall Super-MTA sitting on it wearing a new coat of paint...  It
"could" happen... but not this year. If I don't get to it maybe son Scott
will. He has been working on a Case skid-steer loader this month. I don't
know how close to being done he is but he did use it last week and it
sounded great. He bought it from the father of a friend and co-worker about
a month or so ago.

.

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 12:53 PM Doug Tallman <dtallman at accnorwalk.com>
wrote:

> I think the first step would be to pull your wheel and see what you're
> working with. My experiences with IH trucks has been nothing seems to
> interchange. I was going to suggest using your original wheel to make an
> adapter.  Doug T
>

> On 5/13/2020 12:06 PM, Cecil Bearden wrote:
> > Thanks, that saves me from pulling a pickup steering wheel. Maybe I
> > will get a salvage wheel, cut the center out, and bolt a smaller wheel
> > onto it.
> > Cecil
> >
> > On 5/13/2020 10:47 AM, Kurt Musgrave wrote:
> >> I have 2 Loadstars, one 1600 and one 1700, and several IH pickups.
> >> The 1600 has a 19 inch wheel and the 1700 is a 20 inch.  The parts
> >> book I have shows there were 18, 19 and 20.  The shafts on mine are
> >> larger than on the pickups, guessing 7/8 vs 5/8.  I would think that
> >> a truck junk yard or shop would be able to come up with something
> >> suitable, maybe from a newer truck with smaller wheels.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com