[AT] AT Digest, Vol 28, Issue 7

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Wed May 13 04:58:59 PDT 2020

Glad you mentioned resonance, Carl.  This is the next level of the
discussion that I purposely avoided in my previous comments.   With points
open, it's a LRC circuit.  L is the inductance of the coil primary; R is
the small resistance of the primary; and C of course is the capacitance of
the condenser.  At initial points opening (only open a tiny amount thus
far) a voltage spike comes out of the primary and is absorbed by the
condenser.  This discharges back thru the coil primary in a "ringing" or
resonance fashion, and some energy is dissipated by the resistance.  The
"ringing" reverses again, several times, with an exponentially decreasing
amplitude as energy is dissipated.  It happens (or should happen, if the
circuit is properly balanced, as you mentioned) very rapidly.  The points
re-closing will dead-short the condenser but by now there's very little
energy left to be dissipated.

I have some neat oscilloscope plots of this phenomenon somewhere... oh,
just realized where they are:  in the instruction manual for an old Snap-on
"Counsellor" oscilloscope from the 1980's.  It happens to be at work right
now.  I wonder if I can remember to scan some and send them along.

What is really fascinating is that the points-and-condenser ignition was
developed, as far as I know, before the invention of the oscilloscope.
Early electrical engineers had a strong intuition for analog circuits.

SO