[AT] EVENING UPDATE

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Mon May 11 20:30:40 PDT 2020

OK, here is what I’ve seen on the magneto for my Cub. There should be a small reading from the coil wire to the magneto case when connected to the screw. I’ve read that it’s correct, but don’t quite understand why since this would indicate a grounded circuit to me. I believe it has something to do with the points and condenser that are also attached to the screw and there is a bleed circuit that doesn’t affect normal operation.  I’ve measured from the screw to the case with everything disconnected and there is no continuity, it only shows up when everything is connected.

As far as no continuity between the coil wire and the center contact, there should be a reading This is nothing more than a very long wire wound around a metal core. No reading would indicate an open circuit which means there’s a break in the circuit. Now the break could be in the coil itself. OR....

The wire from the screw is disconnected from the coil itself, which you may be able to fix with a little solder. OR...

There is a break in the wire itself, which again you should be able to fix.

Take a probe from your meter and push it into the wire right at the point were it enters the coil. Measure from there to the end of the pigtail wire. Continuity means good wire. No continuity means break in the wire, or your not making good contact were you inserted the probe. You may want to strip a little insulation off of the wire at the coil to ensure you get a good contact. You can always patch it with some heat shrink or RTV. Also, you may be able to see the solder joint where the pigtail connects to the coil. If so put the probe there.

Next check from were you inserted the probe to the center contact. No continuity means a break in the coil, which is not repairable, or the pigtail wire is disconnected from the coil. You may be able to peel back some of the coil insulation to get to where the wire attaches, and if disconnected, resolder it. You won’t damage the coil as long as you don’t knick any of the coil wire. If you have to pull a little of the coil wire out to solder, that’s OK, just carefully scrape the varnish off of the wire before you solder.

One more thing would be that the center contact is not connected to the other end of the coil, but I would doubt that since it’s essentially molded into the coil body and I don’t see how it would become disconnected without the coil  possibly being severely mishandled or dropped.

I realize that my magneto and your magneto are slightly different designs, but their basic operation should be the same.

Good luck.

Carl