[AT] spring tooth harrows

toma at risingnet.net toma at risingnet.net
Tue May 5 09:28:04 PDT 2020

I was taught dryland farming back in the'60's by an old man that farmed all his life.
A disc is never used, dries the soil too much and causes hardpan.
Ground would be plowed in the fall, rained on all winter. By the end of February we would go in with a spike tooth harrow and start to work the ground "from the top down" . A springtooth with a slant tooth harrow behind was used for all further field work. He would have me go over it every which way. A springtooth used in this way would not loose moisture. Farmed in this way there was little residue so plugging was not a problem.
I have a small sled type springtooth that was probably used with a Cat 10 back in the '30's. It has a trip rope and the teeth roll over, this action will usually clear any trash. Some had rubber tires and tripped up and down.
Bear in mind this method was used in California where it rains October through April. Crops would be grown with residual moisture through late spring and summer.
--
Sent from myMail for Android Monday, 04 May 2020, 08:25PM -07:00 from John Hall  jtchall at nc.rr.com :