[AT] spring tooth harrows

Mark Johnson markjohnson100 at centurylink.net
Tue May 5 04:57:51 PDT 2020

We used a spring-tooth harrow to break up clods, mostly...southern
Indiana soil is fairly strong to clay and tends to produce big clods if
plowed when too wet. Most years, especially on our 'home place' this was
a problem, as all the tillable acres are pretty low ground. The harrow
did seem to make a difference. Later, after I left, my dad mostly went
to minimum tillage and the spring-tooth pretty much became a
dust-and-rust catcher. I'd be willing to wager it's still sitting around
in the machinery shed or out on the ground back home, but I haven't been
to the farm in a long time.

Mark J (pretty much an official 'older' guy now, turned 64 on Sunday.
Celebrating 18.7 billion miles of trips around the sun!)