[AT] Starter installation trick on the later two cylinder JD Tractors.

Brian VanDragt bvandragt at comcast.net
Thu May 21 09:40:13 PDT 2020

I didn't realize it until I looked at that chart again, but the faster 5th gear transmission also raised the speeds of the first through fourth gears, which would reduce pulling power.Brian
-------- Original message --------From: Mark Johnson <markjohnson100 at centurylink.net> Date: 5/21/20  8:08 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: at at lists.antique-tractor.com Subject: Re: [AT] Starter installation trick on the later two cylinder JD Tractors.
    Brian...thanks for the information on 730's and transmissions. As
      best I can recall, one of our 730s had the standard 6-speed
      transmission and the other had the optional 5th gear. The one with
      the standard gears was always the better puller in heavy plowing -
      even in the same gear ratio, but it had some transmission wear and
      noticeably more gear noise than the other.

    Story time: Twice during my teenage years I had to have a 730
      towed to the shed because of a steering related failure...and I
      had another run-in with steering troubles as you'll soon see.

    The first happened while I was disking with our 730 that had, for
      a time, an aftermarket wide front end...as I was turning around at
      the end of the field, one of the steering links connecting the tie
      rod to the wheels broke, causing the front wheels to splay in
      opposite directions. It's very hard to steer like that, and I shut
      it down and walked to the house for help. Not long after that, we
      abandoned the aftermarket front end and put the Roll-O-Matic back
      in place.
    A couple of years later, on our "other" 730 - I was bush-hogging
      pasture, and crossed a drainage ditch with the mower raised...now,
      it's important to note that this particular 730 was a bit light on
      the front end - only one weight set instead of two, and the mower
      in question was a big, beefy 7-foot brand-name BushHog...so when I
      came up out of the ditch, the front end left the ground by about
      6". Unfortunately, what I discovered at that moment was that the
      steering spindle was broken about 2" above the case of the
      Roll-O-Matic. So, when the front wheels left the ground, they left
      the party, and two wheels and the Roll-O-Matic rolled underneath
      the tractor. I don't remember any more (for heaven's sake, it's
      been almost 50 years) whether the wheel set stopped under the main
      case or ended up right in front of the 'hog. In any event, I sure
      wasn't going anywhere.
    In that instance, what saved me from being in deep crap-ola with
      my dad was his discovery that the steering spindle break was not a
      fresh fracture...there was oxidation and wear on the broken part
      that indicated it had been that way for some time, probably
      several weeks. I just happened to be the unlucky sap who
      discovered the failure. This is why having a father with
      engineering training (Purdue AgE, 1950. Go Boilermakers!) was a
      good thing, as he recognized it wasn't anything that *I* did...

    Some years before, I had also had an 'incident' with the same
      tractor where the steering had a glitch in the worm or sector and
      would occasionally lock up, usually in a sharp turn. While running
      from a rain storm during haying season, I came into the driveway
      of one of our farms in road gear, and that's when the steering
      decided to lock, putting me and the tractor through a barbed-wire
      fence (mostly down, fortunately) and into a wheat field. As a
      13-year-old, I didn't have the presence of mind to stop, and cut a
      50-foot loop into the wheat field, turning around and heading down
      the driveway without ever stopping, or even slowing down much. The
      family crew who were haying that day didn't let me forget that one
      for a LONG time. In fact, one of my cousins, now retired, probably
      would still greet me with "Throw in the clutch and put on the
      brake!" if he thought about it much.
    Tune in next time for more adventures with 2-cylinder John Deere
      tractors. That's all for today!
    Mark J
    Columbia, MO - Working from home for 62 days now.

    On 5/20/2020 4:19 PM, Brian VanDragt