[AT] JD Distributor vs. Magneto

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Mon Mar 9 15:25:58 PDT 2020

Mag or distributor, you won’t see any real difference, they both have points, condensers, rotors and rotor caps. The difference is how the “spark” is generated.  You need to have the correct condenser and the gap set properly no matter what you have,

Now if you want to go full upgrade, go to someplace like your local NAPA and get an electronic ignition system for your tractor. They’re claimed to work better with less issues. Not 100% sure what it takes to put one in, but it doesn’t sound like much from what I’ve been told.

Carl