[AT] What was that salvage tractor?

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 1 10:59:59 PST 2020

I was at an event billed as a Traction Engine meet around 90. One contest was a slow race, who could go the slowest without stopping.

There was a gasoline powered Cat there also. It was the next generation Holt without the  narrow front wheel but still the long frame. It rode in on a semi trailer pulled lowboy. It had a large (3 foot or more diameter) flywheel that was spun by hand to start it. One or more piston rings must have broken because it started to blow smoke rings.

Some years back I took a small group of youngsters to the Detroit Historical Museum. One display had to do with Fruehauf and the development of the semi-trailer. In 1919, I am guessing all the trailers were full trailers and would have required a dock or road embankment to load a tractor.

I would bet that the Eisenhower party ran the tractor down the road with a guard contingent until it caught up with the convoy at night or a breakdown or stuck situation.

The Tractor Girl South Pole Massey Ferguson trip of a few years back used Toyota 4WD pickup follow vehicles. They ran the 4WD tractor for two 10 hour shifts while the off drivers napped in the Toyotas. They let the MF idle four hours every night while they all napped. I seem to remember the MF pulled the follow vehicles out at least once. The tractor may have also pulled a fuel trailer.

They had a tent they erected over the tractor for when they shut it down to do a water pump repair. It restarted at 20 below.

Tractor Girl was out driving to the South Pole while the hubster was back in Beauvais or thereabouts  taking care of the kid. In the old days that would have raised eyebrows.

In the early fifties I watched an inoperable Cat D2 get dragged into a Chevy box truck which normally would have hauled crates of apples. The truck was backed up to an embankment where the road cut through a little hill. They used a snatch block and removed a side panel to route the cable out to my dad's Power Wagon with front winch.

The D2 was replaced with a Jubilee. More story there.