[AT] OT - Any HVAC people on here

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Tue Jun 23 09:56:10 PDT 2020

Pay extra for quality. The old system is 22 years old. If a new system has problems after just seven years they will tell you to replace it. That is the state of quality today.

My system is 3 years old (we moved in a year ago) , and I just had to pay 700 just to fix a leak and replace the freon.  About 100 just in the freon. I have records of a previous system that was replaced after 7 years.

They keep switching freon formulas, so I hesitate to buy the equipment to do myself. Not to mention someday regulations are going to make it impossible to do anything.  I figure at best I'd break even doing it myself, and there is a real danger I mess up and have to buy more parts thus increasing my costs.

If you want to do it yourself the forums say good things about the Mr. Cool series mini split systems. The lines are pre charged quick connections and so it is easy to install everything without equipment. I don't know how long they will last though.

--
  Henry Miller
  hank at millerfarm.com