[AT] Enormous grain wagon

Bill Brueck bill at apluscomputer.com
Mon Jun 8 19:46:48 PDT 2020

I run the grain cart these days for brothers in law in central Iowa, Dallas county.  I’ve been told to never go out of the field with a load, even the tempting trip across good concrete pavement to park at one of the home places overnight.  If you’re caught on public roads with a loaded cart it’s bad news.

Usually kind of a moot point because when we change fields it’s almost always to a different ownership structure so everything needs to be empty to account for the crop.

Our equipment is older and smaller but it’s all pretty well matched: combine with 8 row corn head, 12 row bean head, cart, 2 semi’s.  The cart holds a little less than 1000 bu so just short of a semi load unless you have the rest of the field figured out for quantity and it makes sense to send a couple of light loads into town.  Instrumentation in the combine about acres covered is wonderful for knowing what’s left in a field.  About a third of the crop is stored in what bins we have, the rest goes to town.

Going to a 12 row corn head wouldn’t help, most of the time the limiting factor is the volume through this combine.  So more rows but slower ground speed comes out about the same.

This will be the last year, brothers are retiring.  I’ll  miss the annual project and working with the good people.

B²
Pine Island, MN
Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.