[AT] Enormous grain wagon

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 18:30:42 PDT 2020

As I read this thread all I could envision was all of the flimsy little
farm bridges and culverts being caved in. Off hand I don't know of a road
in this county where all of the bridges would carry that kind of load...
Frankly even if someone with that size equipment wanted to rent my ground I
wouldn't rent it to them. Lots and lots of clay drain tiles that were put
in by hand 100+ years ago. They would have to put in all new pattern
drainage. Compaction is another big factor.
Back in the mid 1950's we had some dozer work done that needed a bigger one
that what we were using. The contractor had 3 sizes, kind of a baby bear,
momma bear and poppa bear thing. Momma bear was about 3 times the size of
the crawler we used and that was what he was going to bring. That dozer
went down and he was going to have a bad delay so he brought out poppa bear
which hung over the sides of the semi bed about 2' or more per side and the
blade much more than that. It was an IHC with a number I don't recall but
it was claimed when it was new to be the biggest "production" bull-dozer in
the world. I had seen one at the Indiana State Fair (which has been
canceled for this year). They unloaded it in one barnlot and drove it to
the back of the farm where it was to remove some large trees and remove a
large bluff over the tiny creek and move part of the creek. When done they
drove it back the same path to the barnlot. For  the next 10+ years you
could see every spring / summer "exactly" where they drove that thing. When
plowing that strip always plowed up in "blocks" while the rest was very
mellow.
The guy that rents much of my farm now is great about considering things
like compaction and erosion. I have been approached by others but I have
just stayed with this guy because he has always treated us right. It's been
quite a few years now.

.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"