[AT] 1937 CASE "C"

Mark Johnson markjohnson100 at centurylink.net
Thu Jun 4 12:02:56 PDT 2020

Injuries from blowing out large tires are more common than you might
think. Demountable or 'split' rims for heavy trucks were mostly
discarded, maybe even outlawed, after an accident or perhaps several,
where the tire was overinflated to the point where the rim blew apart
and killed the guy working on the tire. If those are used at all, I'm
pretty sure OSHA requires a safety cage around the wheel & tire when
inflating.

Consider how much area & volume are involved with 20 PSI in a 24" wheel.
The total of the force on the rim is measured in *tons*.

Mark J