[AT] Slow Day

ustonThomas Mehrkam tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 24 19:20:51 PDT 2020

 We Farmed over 2000 acres in South Texas. Had a big Massey Ferguson Diesel with a cab.  I drove that thing all summer in 73 and 74.  Heat of the summer 85 to 101 degrees.  It was not all that bad at least the windows opened and were tinted.  Had a little shade.  Better than the gas tractors.  Massey Harris 33 and a big case Diesel with no cab or the Miniapplis Moline with the ^^%% hand cluch.  I preferred the one with the cab. Later we but an AC on that tractor but could never make it work reliability.  Old R12 system.
I decided to study Electronics as I liked building ham radios and fixing TV's. And it had to be a whole lot cooler than farming.  Got an Electrical Engineering degree and spent the next 45 or so years designing Food Sorting, Food Weighing and Food Packing Machines. Then down hole tools, Seismic Oil Exploration systems both Land and Marine.
I got to rebuild Sun-strand hydro-static transmissions in the desert in the middle east.  I was sent to commission the electronics I designed for the vibrator trucks. Electronics worked great the Hydraulics were shit. I got to put my farm experience into practice. This was in 106 degree plus temperatures in the middle of the sand dunes. :-{  Made me wish for my farming days driving tractors in south Texas and pulling/Hoeing/Chopping  goat weeds in 2000 acre peanut fields with two mile long rows.
I got to ride a Chinese Seismic Exploration Vessel.  I designed much of the electronics for that vessel and spent two months installing and debugging the electronics and software off shore Papua New-Guinea sailing over the great barrier reef.  It was not near as exciting as the ride from South Korea  to Papua New-Guinea where it was built through a CAT 3 Hurricane or Typhoon.
Now I am on my Grand Fathers farm working on the retirement place. I am not going to complain about the 90 to 101 degree days.  Anyone want to help clear brush or build 5000 ft of fence? Enough Rant. I have some post holes to dig.