[AT] 16 HP Onan twin

Bill Brueck bill at apluscomputer.com
Sun Jul 19 13:49:29 PDT 2020

I had the same problem with that engine on a 2500 Gehl skid loader.  Pulling the head off I learned the previous owner had been in there with a punch trying to move enough aluminum to bind the valve seats, guess it held for quite a while since I had used it for several years.  After a couple of attempts of the same I took the block into a machine shop who was recommended by the local Gehl dealer.  That didn't hold, either.  You might have better luck since yours has never been dinged up.

I put up with peening the block when the seat came loose for a couple of years (it was the rear cylinder and I could do this with minimal disassembly, had it down to less than 30 minutes), thinking I'd find an engine to replace it.  Finally gave up and bought a new replacement engine from the dealer.  Linamar, made in Canada, with plenty of Onan part numbers yet on the castings.  People have also put Kohler engines in this model skid loader.  A local Gehl (um Gravely for you) dealer should be knowledgeable about compatible engines.

Less than 2 months after buying the new engine there were 2 good looking candidates for replacement that showed up at a local auction.  Story of my life.

B²
Bill Brueck
   Pine Island, MN USA