[AT] Small UPDATE: '47 B

jdnut at aol.com jdnut at aol.com
Wed Jul 15 20:39:15 PDT 2020

Steve,Carl has responded, and he is a lot more learned about this stuff than me.  I will just tell you what I did..... on my Dad's 45 Model A Deere (6 volt) and two other six volt tractors, including a 45 BR.  I don't know if your 47 is 6 or 12 volt.  If it is 6 volt, I believe that the suggested wires are a little on the light side, though it is in my DNA to overbuild most things.  On my Dad's 1945 Model "A", I got at least 0 welding wire... could have been 00, but I think 0.  When you do your measurements, add 2-3 inches because the wire is pretty stiff.  Because I was more interested in function than being factory original, I had the ground wire made so I could bolt it directly to the starter.  Spencer had a company in "Florida" make some cables for him a little while ago, I believe.  If your tractor is 12 volt, you could probably reduce wire size by a notch... but if battery is under the seat, that is a pretty long cable, so I might still go with something pretty heavy.
Regarding the wiring harness, on my 1945 BR, also 6 volt, I probably have 10 gauge wire running to the generator and to the starter solenoid.  Probably 12 or 14  gauge for the rest... will check in the morning if you are interested...
One of the list members might have a rebuilt generator for your tractor, and you might be surprised that you may still have a shop that can rebuild them.  I reverse engineered a rebuilt one that I bought and now have rebuilt a couple myself.  Again, if six volt, possibly a little extra work involved.  Hardest thing for me was replacing the field coils.
Regarding spark plugs....Ferndale is pretty much on the northern CA coast.... not a lot of fire danger.... so... in case I start some sort of flame session... I like Autolite spark plugs in my two cylinders.
Good luck and take care, John Maxwell