[AT] I guess my sense of humor has timed out...

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 11:49:28 PDT 2020

My Ferguson TO-20 has been acting up and I cleaned the carb just in case
but it was clean inside. Actually the first thing I did was clean the
sediment bowl. Well, I tried but the pot metal housing virtually came apart
in my hands so I bought a new one and put it on. I had doubts about the
coil maybe breaking down after heating up but thought that I would start
with the fuel system and just check everything as I go. The thing needs
rewiring all over just from age and PO cobbling but I've been putting it
off. I am short a couple of coils anyway so I went to pick one up. This
tractor has an old (and and unimpressive) 12 volt conversion so I was
looking for a 12 volt coil with internal resistor. OK, Rural King had an
empty hook that probably held them at one time but no go. Today we stopped
at the local O'reillys to pick one up. They are nice folks and always
helpful. I told the guy what I wanted and he wrote it down and went to get
help... Now I am so old that I tend to forget that most folks behind the
counter are used to looking up parts for stuff that is less than 10 years
old and my old crap is pretty alien to them.
When I told him what I wanted I quipped that I wanted one of the $3
coils...   :-)   (I remember buying $3 coils)  I just happened to overhear
him telling the "crowd" of 3 other people who were helping him look that he
could not find a $3 coil...   :-)  I had to explain that I was joking about
the price... (Rural King gets about $23 out of coils).
When the dust settled I had a 12 volt coil that said "Use with external
resistor" for about $19 and counted myself lucky...  :-)  I have several
new external resistors hanging on a hook in the shop and I will use one of
those.
I need to be careful joking with people more than 2 generations away from
my age group.

.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"