[AT] driver convenience systems

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 08:08:20 PST 2020

In another branch of this same discussion, Jim Becker pointed out the
reality of advancing age, and the safety enhancements that some of these
systems provide.  Not sure if auto dimming headlights fall into that
category, but blind-spot warnings and lane-departure warnings etc certainly
do.

I've come to appreciate ABS, traction control, and stability control
systems which are (I believe) now mandated by law.  It's interesting and
somewhat amusing to get my car (a '14 BMW X1) out on snowy backroads and
feel the stability system step in and make a correction as the back end
tries to get sideways on slippery surfaces.  I can see where folks who
might be retired, or work close to home, or at home, and have the option of
avoiding bad road conditions might want none of this.  But I'll be
commuting 55 miles a day for the next 10 years at least, and I've got to
get to work in all but the most extreme weather conditions.

I don't have auto-dimming headlights, but I do have auto on/off headlights
(just halogen, nothing fancy) and I find they work seamlessly.  I have auto
rain-sensing wipers which work quite well, and have a 4-level sensitivity
knob if they're a little too aggressive or passive.  I have auto climate
control, also works seamlessly. Heated seats and steering wheel are luxury
items that have totally spoiled me, will not have a car without them in the
future.  I guess these are mostly conveniences rather than safety items,
but they work for me.  My phone talks to the radio via bluetooth, pretty
straightforward, although I don't actually talk on the phone much anyway.

My truck (a '16 F-250) is even simpler.  Everything but the transmission is
manual.  No touch screens.  There's a menu system to set certain
preferences but that's once and done.  The truck has a fancier radio
("Sync") than the car,  but it boils down to about the same.  Bluetooth
just works like it is supposed to.

SO