[AT] driver convenience systems

STEVE ALLEN steveallen855 at centurytel.net
Fri Jan 24 13:24:55 PST 2020

I want to thank all of you for reinforcing to me the necessity of keeping my '69 Chevy pickup on the road.  It has none of these "conveniences," but, since I want none of them, I am happy.  I want my vehicle to do WHAT I tell it to do WHEN I tell it to do it, and NOTHING else.  Most of these "conveniences" are not only service jobs and expenses waiting to happen but also distractions from the main--only--purpose of being behind the wheel:  driving.

As for the lights which started the conversation, it is my experience that most vehicles on the road today have FAR too much lighting capacity.  It matters not one whit if the lights automatically dim if the dims are still too bright and blind oncoming traffic.  80% of then need for lighting on public roads is to let other drivers see you.  Even given my eye problems and my age, I can still see better on some roads at night--if the moon is right--without the lights than I can with.

Not trying to criticize anyone else's preferences here, but you can keep all the expensive, electronic gimcrakery!  If only I could buy a NEW '69 (at '69 prices!). . . .

The "original" Steve Allen