[AT] driver convenience systems

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 10:06:50 PST 2020

Modern cars/trucks have a lot of functionality and much of it can be configured to individual preference.  You can’t put enough buttons on the dash to set all of them.  That much choice requires use of some kind of display and menu system.  The problem comes up when the designers make bad choices for the limited number of things that can have a dedicated button.  One would hope that even the biggest idiot would not put something like a turn signal blinker 3 deep in a menu!  On the other hand, who cares how deep in a menu system you have to go to do a bluetooth pair up of your phone, or tell it whether to blink the headlights when the doors unlock.  My point is anything you are likely to want to change while driving needs a physical switch that you can easily find without looking at it.

The problem isn’t the existence of a menu system or the existence of an automatic control.  The problem is a bad implementation of the driver interface, that ignores the fact that ANY interaction between the driver and vehicle needs to be aware that the driver’s primary activity is driving, not playing with the electronic gadgets.  One of the reasons cell phones are such a problem for distracted driving is because they operate almost completely through touch screens that require you to look at the damn thing.

Jim Becker