[AT] [External] Re: driver convenience systems

Gunnells, Brad R brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Thu Jan 23 06:35:08 PST 2020

I was going to respond in a similar way. I have a few Toyota’s in the fleet between my wife and I, and the kids. Following a Toyota forum there’s talk about specialty software for configuring things such as security features and operational behavior (door chimes, auto locking doors, etc).

All a manufacturer has to do is to code into software some of those changes via onboard touch screen and voila! Now we have a new “feature” (that’s always been there) that we can sell to the consumer at added cost. So I can understand the desire from a manufacturers standpoint to put some of those things in a menu on the touch screen vs a switch. One assembly line at the plant can use the same wiring harness for the base model and the deluxe. My daily driver (Camry LE) has the fog light wiring and plugs behind the bumper even though it was never equipped with them. It was probably cheaper for Toyota to put the same harness of the XLE model in vs having multiple on the assembly line.

Now from a consumer standpoint this seems silly. Why encourage drivers to take their eyes off the road navigating a touch screen menu when they can use tactile feel to find a switch to make a control change………..

Brad