[AT] tractor hauler a pain to install headlights.

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 07:44:57 PST 2020

Speaking of tractors.  😀
When my father bought his new 9N Ford and equipment at the start of WW-II
he didn't buy the lighting option. He had a pair of kind of large fog
lights and he installed them fender mounted. They were possibly already
antiques back then. I do recall that they had flat yellow lenses that were
ribbed and chrome housings. I know it had a plow light on the back but I
can't make my brain bring up a picture of it. I don't remember a red tail
light at all.
When he bought the new Ferguson TO-20 about 1949 he did buy the lighting
option and also again on the Ford Jubilee. I think all of the later
tractors came with lights as standard equipment. Neither the John Deere MC
crawler nor the 40-C that replaced it had any lights, not sure why... Of
course the McCormick 10-20 had no idea what a light was other than maybe a
flash light.
I recall working in the fields early on, mostly in the spring, late at
night by moon-light. Plowing was not so bad but sometimes disking or
especially drilling it was easy to "lose your place a bit at times. While
most of the tractors had lights sometimes they had spells of not working or
a generator not charging for a time etc.

.

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 7:35 AM Robert Brooks <rbrooks at hvc.rr.com> wrote:

> We had an issue with Joans Suzuki the sensor went bad so all the lights
> were always on. It was fixed under warranty. Apparently the mechanic had a
> hard time replacing it
>
> Bob
>
> On Jan 21, 2020, at 10:10 AM, Steve W. <swilliams268 at frontier.com> wrote:
> >
> > Phil Auten wrote:
> >> I haven't checked my Ford Fusion, but then I just turn the lights on
> and never use the "auto" position on the switch. My F-150 does not have
> that option.
> >> Phil in TX
> >
> > I think there is a bit of confusion in regards to the auto light
> function and the DRLs.
> >
> > Many DRL systems do not turn on all of the lights. They only activate
> the headlamps at reduced output. There are some that turn on all the lights
> but they are not the most common.
> >
> > The automatic lights usually have a sensor on the dash that detects the
> exterior light level and turns on all of the lights once the light is below
> a set level, just as if a human turned the switch.
> >
> > I have seen those get fooled though, usually in bad weather where the
> light gets reflected back to the sensor by for or heavy rain or snow. The
> backscatter is enough that it exceeds the threshold and the system switches
> back to the DRLs.
> >
> > --
> > Steve W.

Francis Robinson