[AT] OT Draft Exemption Exam

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 15:36:58 PST 2020

My employer kept me out of Vietnam in the mid 1960's but I didn't know
about it until I was told by someone later. Then when they did the
lotteries in I think 1969 I was just barely too old to be included. I was
born in 1942 but the lottery draws started including those born in about
1943 / 44 I believe.
I had some friends who went and some co workers who went. Some didn't come
back... Most who came back were changed forever... One co worker enlisted
after his younger brother was killed. I never heard anything of him again.
I know nothing of his fate. I know that he had a wife and very young child.
A friend had gone and came back about 1968 or so and we were best friends
for about 45 years. Our kids grew up together and we were all together
constantly. Still he almost never talked about his time there. On very rare
occasions when it was just he and I he would talk a bit. I never pushed
him. I did learn that his job was to sneak way out into the hills and call
in target locations, "forward spotter"? I forget. I do remember him once
saying that if he had been there 100 years that he would never have gotten
used to waking up to machine gun fire... He has been gone about 5 or 6
years now I guess. As you get older time gets fuzzy... Diana and I
currently board a horse for one of his daughters.

.

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 4:39 PM <bradloomis at charter.net> wrote:

> As was my father. 1 class short of dual engineering degrees in 4 years at
> NC State, civil and mechanical. He spent the war developing sound tracking
> torpedoes for the Navy, spending time at sea.  As an engineer, not in
> uniform. He would have been in his 30s. Sadly polio killed him four months
> before I was born in 52.
> Brad

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"