[AT] OT Draft Exemption Exam

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Mon Jan 20 13:12:26 PST 2020

My dad was called up for WII, but didn’t serve. His boss made an argument that he was un-replaceable at his job and they needed him above everybody else. He was deferred from serving.

Don’t know what the employer was required to prove, but I’ve heard of others being deferred because they were needed more at home then serving. There were also hardship cases, but again, l don’t know what constituted a hardship.

Then there was the “last son” position that came into being after the Sullivan brothers were all killed fighting in WII. The youngest son was automatically deferred, or if he was already serving, was discharged and sent home.

Carl