[AT] Tow vehicle levelling

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Sun Jan 19 20:09:00 PST 2020

Antique tractor reference:

I had  a 1998 Isuzu trooper. It was rated to tow 5000 pounds. The engine and braking could handle 5000 pounds of trailer and antique tractor no problem. However, the rear suspension did not handle a tongue weight of much more than 500 pounds which is difficult to achieve if you’re maxing out the trailer at 5000 pounds. So I added a weight distributing hitch:  Made all the difference in the world.  I loved that hitch on that mid sized SUV.  I sold that SUV with 238,000 miles on it and still running perfect. I don’t think I made a single repair to it, even with all the tractor towing.  It was a wonderful vehicle.

Since then I’ve had vehicles with tow capacities so much greater than what I tow I have not needed that hitch and it sits on a shelf.

One safety thing I noted with the weight distributing hitch. Putting more weight on the front axle - as one might suspect - helped with braking.

Spencer

Sent from my iPhone