[AT] tractor hauler a pain to install headlights.

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Jan 18 07:23:11 PST 2020

There was an article in one of my Commercial truck magazines that stated
that the new LED lights are so much brighter but do not give the long
distance lighting that the old halogen lights did. They also mentioned
that they were so bright that they blinded oncoming vehicles.  As far as
the height, the new pickups are so high off the ground that I need a
stepladder to get in them.   We used to use a pickup on the farm for
everything, building fence, moving feed sacks etc.  Now, the bed is so
high off the ground that they must have steps to get into.  If anything
is in the front of the bed forget it.   This is the reason the Polaris
Ranger type of ATV is so popular.  it is easier to get into than a
pickup, and the bed is about the same height.  The Ranger is about $24K
new for the one that has A/C.  Our first 1/2 ton pickup in 1963 did nto
have A/C but it had v-8 and automatic and only cost $1800.  It would
haul 60 bushel of wheat to the elevator, and pull a 20ft cattle trailer
with no brakes...   ( not something I want to do today ) .  Now, a 3/4
ton is necessary to do what a 1/2 ton pickup would.  The gooseneck stock
and equipment trailers have had to be rebuilt to clear the bed sides of
the newer pickups or a flat bed must be installed on the pickup now.

I looked at a new 2017 Dodge 2500 before I bought my used 2011 Chevrolet
and the salesman had to bring me a stepstool so I could get into it.
The electric running boards were a $1000 option....  I could get into my
2011 Chevrolet without the running boards even though  it has  them.
With all the hype about mileage, I would think that a higher profile
vehicle would have more wind resistance and get less fuel mileage....
Some call it progress.
Cecil