[AT] tractor hauler a pain to install headlights.

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 06:15:26 PST 2020

I've got an LED retrofit experiment going on my 86 Blazer. I upgraded the
sealed beam lamps to the Hella H4 housings (think 7X5 Chevy squarebody
lights) and put in some Amazon H4 LED bulbs. The Hella housings are glass,
not plastic which was a requirement I decided on for longevity in the
Arizona sunlight. I have the original Hella incandescent bulbs onboard for
if/when the fan-cooled Amazon bulbs get tired of me crashing through the
desert. I'll know more when summer arrives but for now I have to say the
light control on the Hella housings is amazing and the pattern is as good
as some of the Sylvania halogens I was getting tired of. I DID have to use
some sealant to seal the housings as the Hella's have some vents in them
which would allow dirt and water into them so a touch of RV sealant on
those should fix the problem. We'll see.
    The amount of light emitted on low beam is plenty for most driving, and
I haven't had them out to the wilds where I can use the high beams. I had
someone in a Lexus or BMW the other night heading at me with his brights on
and I considered flashing him. Figured it was not kind to the other drivers
if I did that and just let it pass. The high beams are DeathStar
planet-buster bright, and aimed so they can light up down the road. With
the higher profile of the vehicle, it would be in many drivers' faces too.
I haven't measured light intensity yet but they seem to be questionable.
Are they "legal"? Can't find anyone willing to say they are or aren't so
Steve's comments on "Wild West" are spot on... DOT, SAE, and manufacturer
dance around this question. I need to ask my neighbor who's a gearhead and
police officer, but I suspect it depends on your attitude. :)
I've also upgraded the dash lights and dome lights to LED (use the
high-brightness ones for the dome lights. it really makes a difference).
Between that and the Atomic EFI kit replacing the tired Quadrajet, this is
a different vehicle. And I can still beat the hell out of it and not worry
about paint. (it's my old tractor-towing rig).

We'll see how it goes. If it goes well I will probably find a similar
upgrade for my 6-volt Case tractor.

Ken in AZ