[AT] tractor hauler a pain to install headlights.

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 05:13:21 PST 2020

I'm not ready to jump to LED retrofit headlight bulbs.  It's still the Wild
West out there.  A reflector assembly that was originally designed for a
halogen bulb is basically a large number of tiny mirrors, each and every
one needing to be pointed at the halogen filament in order to bounce the
photons where they are supposed to go.  Many of the LED retrofit kits do
not emit photons the same way the halogen filament does, so where they get
bounced is anybody's guess.  The best LED retrofit kits do in fact emulate
the halogen.  And worth mentioning that some vehicles have headlight
designs that are more or less sensitive to this.  Some work "fine" while
others are very picky.  Which raises the subject of what it means to work
"fine".  You need to see where you're going but you also have a
responsibility not to blind oncoming traffic.  And then we can discuss
thermal issues.  Some of these LED retrofit headlight bulbs actually have
little cooling fans.  I'm not at all sure I trust any of this.

SO