[AT] OT Draft Exemption Exam

deanvp deanvp at att.net
Mon Jan 20 15:37:22 PST 2020

Polio in NW Iowa was also very scary. We had enough cases that scared the bejesus out of everyone. We didn't know how it was transmitted so everyone became very protective. Rightfully so. Public gatherings almost came to an end. All kinds of theories were floating around.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  It was a ghostly enemy and we didn't know what we had to do to avoid it. Don't ever want to through that again ...ever.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy Tablet
-------- Original message --------From: Kenneth Gene Waugh <kgwaugh0943 at gmail.com> Date: 1/20/20  3:36 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: Antique Tractor Email Discussion Group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com> Subject: Re: [AT] OT Draft Exemption Exam Totally new tack, but Brad Loomis, I recall how terrible Polio was in the first half of the 50s. My Dad was  PhD with the Animal Husbandry Dept at NC State; we lived on a couple acres out on what is now Penny Road, was Rt 4 then. One summer, around 53-4, the Polio was so bad that us kids spent the summer on Mother's childhood farm in Indiana---and trust me, my folks were not alarmists---the Polio was simply that terrible.On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 3:39 PM <bradloomis at charter.net> wrote:As was my father. 1 class short of dual engineering degrees in 4 years at NC State, civil and mechanical. He spent the war developing sound tracking torpedoes for the Navy, spending time at sea.  As an engineer, not in uniform. He would have been in his 30s. Sadly polio killed him four months before I was born in 52.
Brad